Our vision is to make a real difference for society, as recognised leaders in marine and aquatic science.
As the UK's largest and most diverse applied marine science centre, we help to shape and implement policy through our internationally renowned science and collaborative relationships that span the EU, UK government, non-governmental organisations, research centres and industry.
Our work takes us from freshwater to the open ocean, and includes both wild and farmed fish. Our influence and leadership spans a wide spectrum of issues, including:
- climate change impacts and adaptation
- marine planning and environmental licensing
- sustainable fisheries management
- marine biodiversity and habitats
- fish and shellfish health and hygiene
- emergency response.
We support this by collecting, managing and interpreting environmental, biodiversity and fisheries data.